Tuesday, July 26, 2016

A love-hate relationship

Just to clarify the title, I admit, I have a love-hate relationship with this city. I love the art, the architecture, the sites, the museums, the monuments. I love the attention to detail they put on everything from water fountains to city hall. BUT: I hate the tourist traps and the masses of people that flock to them. Obviously, I'm comfortable enough with this city that I can walk it and get through it better than your average tourist. Maybe I could consider myself an honorary Parisian. But these people with their big maps and their selfie sticks need to get a clue... Or at least some consideration for those around them. So when I'm here, I try to avoid them. In fact, I haven't even seen the Eiffel Tower properly since I've been here. Haven't seen the Louvre, haven't seen Orsay, haven't seen the Arc de Triomphe. Eh, I've got the rest of the week. 

This morning, I was a little lazy sleeping in and maybe still recovering from Ireland. I had heard from Mario to meet him at Sacre-Cœur around 2pm so since there was no way to get there directly, I walked from République (where my apartment is) to Belleville to catch the métro there. I got off at Abbesses to spend some time at the "I love you" wall on a bench with a book. 


After a while, I hiked up the hill to Montmartre by Place Marcel Aymé (with the statue of the Passé-Muraille that we read this past year in French 4 & 5) and through the tourist trap that is Place du Tertre to meet Mario in front of the church. After giving directions to his group, he came to sit and chat with me for a while. Then, I went with his group to Notre-Dame (ah, two tourist traps back to back... I know, my choice for tagging along with his group.). While his group was exploring that area, since I had realized earlier I had forgotten my print out of my ticket for my concert today, we sweet-talked a girl at a hotel to print it for me. Then we moseyed our way over to Sainte-Chapelle to double-check the time it opens for the concert. When it was time for him to get back to his group, we parted ways for the day. 


Sitting in Sainte-Chapelle for the concert was just incredible. The chairs were a little uncomfortable but I just loved soaking it in. They played classical pieces; some I recognized, some I didn't.  



After the concert, I walked back over to Notre-Dame, grabbed a sandwich and ate it in the square in front of the cathedral. My view during dinner: 


Then more Berthillon taste-testing. Today's flavors: pink grapefruit and lime. 


Then I walked back home and now I've got to figure out what I'm doing tomorrow. Oh, the possibilities. 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment