Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Day 3: Avignon, Baux-de-Provence & Arles

Avignon at the Palais des Papes (before they discovered wifi):


After they discovered wifi:


In front of the Gallo-Roman arena in Arles:


Today was yet another sunny day without a cloud in the sky! Perfect weather for touring, just a bit windy! 

This morning, we left the Mediterranean and headed northwest to Avignon, famous for the Palace of the Popes, which we got to tour. We also saw the famous bridge from the children's song that only goes halfway across the river. After lunch here, where many students were so proud to use their French 1 café vocab and ordering skills and many of them were courageous and tried frogs legs, we headed toward a gorgeous part of the country to Baux-de-Provence, a little walled-in village perched on top of a mountain. Gorgeous views of the mountains and valleys all around. (My pictures from here are apparently only on my camera; I will have to post them later - sorry!) Then from there, we toured Arles which has an arena and amphitheater left over from the Roman Empire 2000 year ago. This is the city where VanGogh also painted lots of his paintings, including: 

We also visited the hospital where he stayed and painted after he sliced his ear off. 

Now we are heading off to Pont du Gard and Nîmes tomorrow. After that, we'll have some time in the bus because we'll head north to Lyon. 

We're having a blast and they're learning a lot (or at least I hope!). My favorite parts of the day are when they come running back to me and say "Miss Schilling, I got to use my French and they understood me!"

1 comment: