Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Obama's Paris

So the following postcard was on multiple French news sites this morning and I just had to share. It's a postcard written to a friend in 1988 by a certain president.

If you can't read it, here's what it says:

Cynthia -

Hope all goes well with you; I understand you left something in my mailbox and I trust Sheila retrieved it.

Meanwhile, I wander around Paris, the most beautiful, alluring, maddening city I've ever seen; one is tempted to chuck the whole organizing/political business and be a painter on the banks of the Seine. You'll be amused to know that since I don't know a word of French, I'm left speechless most of the time. Wish you a fruitful summer -

Love,
Barack

It reminds me of a quote from Midnight in Paris, 
That Paris exists and anyone could choose to live anywhere else in the world will always be a mystery to me.

I guess I can take comfort in that I'm not the only one that becomes enamored by the beautiful city of Paris, both when I'm there and when I'm away from it. 

More quotes:
"Every man has two countries: his own and France."
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is my country and Paris is my hometown."
-Gertrude Stein

"When good American die, they go to Paris."
-Oscar Wilde

"Paris is always a good idea."
-Audrey Hepburn, in Sabrina

No comments:

Post a Comment